When Lena's half-brother Nate (guest star Travis Schuldt) comes for a visit with her parents, after 20 years of estrangement, Lena aims to get an apology for an offensive name he called her mother years ago. Meanwhile, Cole invites Callie, Jude and Connor to an LGBTQ prom.
- Teri Polo as Stef Adams Foster
- Sherri Saum as Lena Adams Foster
- Hayden Byerly as Jude Adams Foster
- David Lambert as Brandon Foster
- Maia Mitchell as Callie Jacob
- Danny Nucci as Mike Foster (credit only)
- Cierra Ramirez as Mariana Adams Foster
- Tom Williamson as AJ
- Gavin MacIntosh as Connor Stevens
- Tom Phelan as Cole
- Lorraine Toussaint as Dana Adams
- Jordan Rodrigues as Mat Tan
- Travis Schuldt as Nathan Adams
- Keean Johnson as Tony
- Katherine McNamara as Kat
- Toks Olagundoye as Faith
- Bruce Davison as Stewart Adams
- David Douglas as Chris
- Keli Daniels as Teri Sanderson
- Ryan Salazar as Jonah
- Craig Partamian as Lennon
- Victoria Ortiz as Cole's Buddy
- The episode title, "More Than Words," probably refers to Lena explaining to Dana that the "N-word" Nathan called Dana once is more than just a word, as she still feels hurt by it. It might also be a reference to Cole telling Jude that labels are more than just words, as they also keep a special meaning and power for everyone who carries them.
- It is revealed that Cole has feelings for Callie, even kissing her. However, she turns him down because she sees him as friend and needs time for herself right now.
- After some encouraging words from Cole about his dislike of labels, Jude officially comes out to Connor in this episode, accepting he is gay.
- Mariana breaks up with Mat, although not telling him the true reason why, and says it is best they go their separate ways.
- Brandon and Kat get kicked out of Idyllwild.
- AJ hints at his attraction for Callie by flirting with her in the end of the episode.
- Mike is absent in this episode.