|“||A girl who leaves behind a trail of glitter will never be forgotten.||”|
— Mariana Adams Foster
Mariana Adams Foster (born Mariana Gutierrez) is a main character on the The Fosters. She is the daughter of Ana Gutierrez and Gabriel Duncroft, the adoptive daughter of Stef Adams Foster and Lena Adams Foster, the fraternal twin sister of Jesus Adams Foster, and the adoptive sister of Brandon Foster, Callie Adams Foster, and Jude Adams Foster.
Mariana is portrayed by actress and singer, Cierra Ramirez.
Mariana was born May 17, 1998  and is the fraternal twin sister of Jesus. She is the biological daughter of Ana Gutierrez and Gabriel Duncroft, although, Gabriel was originally unaware of the twins' birth. Ana and Gabe and a consensual relationship when she was fifteen and he was eighteen, which resulted in her parents having him arrested for having sex with a minor - much to Ana's objection that it wasn't like that. Infuriated with her parents, Ana left home and began drinking and doing drugs more heavily, which was around the time she discovered that she was pregnant.
After the twins were born, Ana was still a drug addict and for this reason, the twins grew up in a tumultuous and unstable environment. Mariana vividly remembers a Christmas when she and Jesus were left alone in their crib for what felt like days while Ana was away getting drugs. Mariana described the experience as "terrifying", however, Jesus soothed her despite being scared as well. When they were around five-years-old, they were placed into the foster care system after it became apparent that Ana couldn't care for her children any longer due to her addiction.
While the time period they were in the foster system is unknown, she was likely only in the system a year or so, Mariana does recall being a foster kid. She lamented to Callie how she remembered the frequent moving around, various girls she had to room with, and sometimes being put into some "messed up" homes.
One day, her foster parents decided that they couldn't deal with the kids anymore and dropped them off at the police station for DHS to handle. At this time, Stef Foster was a police officer, and noticed the children. She approached them and learned their names before giving them each a lollipop. Mariana was quiet and didn't speak to Stef, nor did she accept the candy until Jesus handed it to her. After this, Stef and her partner Lena Adams decided to foster the twins. They brought them into their home where they became foster siblings with Stef's biological son, Brandon. The twins were later adopted by the couple. Mariana once said that she didn't feel true love and safety until Stef and Lena took her and Jesus in.
Mariana is a young, beautiful girl with a pale complexion, dark brown eyes. She has medium length deep brown hair which she wears in a variety of styles: curly, straight, or naturally waved. She has a slim, yet toned and athletic figure. Mariana's clothing sense is very girly; she often wears bright colors, such as pinks, yellows and blues. She is often seen wearing a mixture of floral dresses and skirts with colorful cardigans and heels, and dark jeans and jackets over bright colored shirts.
Mariana is very smart and girly and cares about appearances, in the least hers, very much. She's shown to be popular and is always organizing social events. Frequently, Mariana has shown strong leadership among her peers and is very proactive during a variety of situations, even organizing a protest against Mr. Timothy's firing at Anchor Beach. Not unlike the rest of her siblings, Mariana is extremely loyal and protective over her family and friends.
While she is usually kind, she can be naive when it comes to certain topics. However, she usually learns from her mistakes. Mariana also loves to gossip and speaks Spanish fluently. Despite her confident exterior, underneath it all she can be very insecure and sometimes caves into peer pressure in order to be accepted. This is shown multiple times throughout the series. For example, when seeing old friend Garret had a new edgier scene and friends, she pierced her nose herself at home to fit in. Also, when making it onto the dance team, she had overheard fellow dance teammates claiming she only made the cut because she's Latina - this leading her to dye her hair blonde to fit in with their crowd and distance herself from her Latin heritage. However, she has learned not to give into how others make her feel and to be herself.
Callie catches Mariana stealing pills from Jesus. It is later revealed when Jesus discovers a large amount of cash, that Mariana was selling the pills because Ana needed money. Jesus gets mad at her, reminding her that Ana abandoned the twins so she could run off with a "dumbass" and screw whoever she wanted while he was holding a picture of them and ripped it in half. Mariana tearfully tells him that Ana has come back to town. Mariana fakes a stomach ache in order to sneak out and meet Ana, whom she has been chatting with online. They finally meet, but it is not what Mariana was expecting. Ana takes the money and leaves suddenly. Mariana is devastated and goes home.
Mariana is blamed for reading Callie's journal. Mariana told Callie she didn't do it and knows that Callie doesn't trust her. Then, she explains to Callie the reason behind her selling Jesus' pills.
Mariana prepares for her Quinceañera and asks Callie to take Kelsey's place in her court. Callie agrees to do so. Mariana also asks Mike to do the traditional father/daughter dance with her because she is a little embarrassed of having two moms.
During the Quinceanera Mariana finds out about Jesus and Lexi's relationship and is not happy. Mariana tells Jesus she knows about the relationship. Lexi tries to talk to Mariana in the bathroom but gets the cold shoulder. Mariana ends up dancing with Mike instead of with her moms.
Lena and her mom have a disagreement. Lena's mom thinks that Mariana shouldn't have had this party and thinks just because she is Latina doesn't mean she's Latina. Lexi insists on leaving but Jesus stops her and says it's his birthday too and that he wants at least one dance with her.
They have cake and have a family photo including Callie and Jude. They show a slideshow of Jesus and Mariana. During the slideshow it shows some pictures of Mariana and Lexi. Mariana smiles at her. Mariana tells Lena and Stef that she is acting selfish (because Jesus said she was being selfish because they raised her and gave her this party and she won't dance with them) and says sorry to her moms. Her moms disagree and say she is wonderful. At the end no one saw but she did dance with them.
At breakfast, Mariana rebuffs Jesus' wanting to go to a church camp for the weekend with Lexi, and questions his religious beliefs; "Since when are you religious?" Later, Mariana meets with her birth mother, Ana, instead of seeing Garret like she told Lena. They discuss her Quinceañera and Ana even gives her a gift. Back at home, Callie and Mariana discuss Wyatt's party, and Mariana suggests that they should go. Callie reluctantly agrees before they tell the moms that they are going to Wyatt's to watch a movie. At the party, Mariana runs into Kelsey who lets slip that Jesus and Lexi had unprotected sex. Mariana, angry and upset, gets drunk and Callie decides it's time to leave. When Mariana and Callie arrive back home, Mariana makes a scene in front of the dinner party and tells Lexi's parents that Jesus and Lexi had sex. Angry, Stef and Lena put Mariana to bed.
Mariana and Jesus are fighting over the fact that Mariana told Lexi's parents that he and Lexi had sex. Stef ends the fight and tells Mariana that she brought it upon herself. Because of what Mariana did, Lexi's parents refuse to let Jesus date their daughter and have decided to send Lexi to a boarding school. Feeling guilty, Mariana helps Lexi hideout from her parents after running away. While helping Lexi, the girls talk and reconnect. After finding out from Jesus that Lexi and her parents are not legal U.S. citizens, Mariana reveals where Lexi is staying.
Mariana tells Callie that she wants Liam put away for his crimes. After class, Lexi reveals to Mariana that it's definite that she'll move to Honduras. Mariana promises to Lexi that she won't tell Jesus, but she ends up telling him anyway. Mariana removes her nose piercing for her moms to please them. Mariana dances with her family. She is asleep when Callie runs away.
Mariana and Jesus get into an argument about who gets to spend time with Lexi before she leaves for Honduras. Jesus enters Mariana's room while her and Lexi are working on their English assignment. He asks for time alone with his girlfriend, but Lexi lets him go after feeling she is letting her best friend down. She tells her that it is complicated when you are in love, and that she will understand once she has a boyfriend. Mariana is left angered by this. Jude rushes into Callie and Mariana's bedroom checking her closet and her drawers only to find out that it's empty. The family have a family meeting discussing about Callie. Brandon asks Mariana if she thinks Callie is back with Wyatt. She says that she doesn't think as she thinks they broke up a month ago. Brandon doesn't understand why Callie would take off. Mariana says that finally felt like she had a sister. They realize they are late for school until Stef's car won't start. At school, Mr. Timothy tells Mariana that she will need a new partner. She now finds out that Lexi is leaving for Honduras and not returning.
Marianna and Jesus confront Brandon about kissing Callie. Marianna says he is going to tear the family apart. She leaves, and Jesus tells Brandon that he agrees with Marianna. Marianna is recruited by a cute senior named Chase to audition for the school play. Marianna shows up to audition for the school play. She is greeted by Zac, who is a designer for the play. He is unimpressed with Chase, unlike Marianna. He pairs Marianna and Kelsey together to work on costumes. Marianna and Kelsey argue over working with each other. Marianna and Kelsey shop for costumes for the play, but Marianna is nervous that Kelsey will shoplift. While Marianna is trying on a dress, Kelsey shares that she thinks Chase is “hot.” When the girls leave the store, they are stopped by a security guard who wants to check their bags. Kelsey looks nervous. Marianna confronts Kelsey about the hat when Chase appears and spots the hat. He is impressed and says it defines his character. He thanks Marianna for the hat and walks off. Kelsey smiles and tells Marianna she can thank her later.
Mariana takes a liking to Chase and agrees to help him run lines after school. This angers Kelsey, so Mariana decides that neither of them should be with Chase if it means ruining their friendship, so she cancels reading lines with him, but to her surprise Kelsey offers to read lines with him instead. When Kelsey gets detention, Mariana goes to read lines with Chase, and they end up kissing. Kelsey sees this and out of anger, she tells the principal that Mariana was the one who was selling her drugs, getting Mariana suspended.
Mariana is seen get along with the girls for the United Girls home.
Padre Mariana finally thought she was going to get a sister and then Callie ran away. And top of that her best friend moved thousands of miles away and she lost Jesus as well. Her twin is too focused on juggling his relationship with his girlfriend and very good friend, Emma. Maybe that’s why Mariana asked Brandon if he was the reason Callie wasn’t staying.
Mariana got caught up in getting the guy of her dreams that all she served to do was make a fool of herself. She also risked her friendship with Zac. He was trying to tell her his true feeling and she basically ignored him.
Mariana had foolishly ditched her friend, Zac, just to spend time with the boy she had a crush on. Too bad he was jerk then and is a jerk now. He told everyone at school about her putting her underwear in his pocket. And in his version of events they hooked up. That’s not the truth but who’s going to believe her. Mariana has to deal with Chase and his friends stuffing his underwear in her locker. Lena and Stef found about it and were forced into having a talk with her. Panties aren’t the best way to tell a guy you like him. Zac, He was upset with Mariana ditching him but chose to help her get some pay back. He wrote a terrible review of Chase’s play and let it go to print. He never liked the way Chase was targeting to her and he’s all too willing to let bygones be bygones between him and Mariana.
Mariana's glad her best friend is back. Although she could do without Lexi’s evidence. Mariana thought she and Zac were just fine being friends. Then Lexi comes along and tells Mariana to open her eyes. If she could see how much Mariana is in love with Zac then why can’t her friend come out and admit it. Lexi had given Mariana the courage to pursue Zac. And once he became clear of the situation he was all for it. Then he spent some time with his weirdo mom and now suddenly he merely wants to be friends again. Mariana doesn’t know why things changed but, she not going back to being friends without some answers first.
who talks to Brandon about when he is going to move back and how he likes living with his dad. After she gets confirmation that he is going to. The episode picks back up with Marianna going to dinner with Zac and his mom where she learns that his mom is a bit crazier and a bit more forgetful than she led onto when she first met her. Zac was embarrassed about his mom and this was the reason why he did not call her back that day when they kissed.
In the hallway at school, Marianna sees Zac’s mom who is going to volunteer at the school dance. Zach approaches both of them. When his mom leaves, he and Marianna are talking and it is clear that Marianna wants Zach to ask her to the dance, but he appears to be afraid and chickens out. Callie tells Marianna that she should ask Zac out herself because it appears that he may be a little shy after their previous encounters. We then see Marianna with Zac. She was going to ask him out when he showed her a card that pictured him in a suit. It was his way of asking her to the Winter Ball. Marianna and Zac are dancing when Zac mom cuts in to dance with Zac. She accuses Zac of sleeping with Marianna before running off.
Zac and Mariana find his mom. She is outside looking at the water, but when they get to her, she doesn’t recognize either of them. She asks Zac who he is and, after some confusion, he identifies himself as her son. After a moment, she realizes this and waves it off.
Mariana learns the truth behind Zac's mom; she has Alzheimer. She deals with the fact that he has to move to Arizona.
Mariana slips on Jesus's skateboard and breaks her ankle before her dance performce. As a result of Mariana's ankle injury, she and Emma pull an all-nighter so that they can implement coding into their dance performance for the dance-off. When Mariana's dance team performs, Mariana isn't in the dance, but she is replaced by a virtual dancer that she and Emma programmed in. Mariana's dance team combines coding with dance and ends up with a successful dance. After the dance-off, Ana drives Mariana and Jesus home. Unfortunately, Ana starts receiving labor pains and they decide to drive to the hospital instead of home. While trying to make it to the hospital, they end up in a car accident.
The Fosters (104/104)
Season 1 (13/13)
- Jesus Adams Foster / Jariana - Jesus and Mariana Adams Foster are fraternal twins. They were born to Ana and Gabe, and were raised in a rough and unbalanced environment. Their biological mother was addicted to drugs and their father was in prison. They were placed into foster care for a few years and moved around frequently. They were eventually adopted by Stef and Lena Adams Foster when they were around five-years-old after their former foster parents could no longer take care of them. The siblings were extremely close growing up, as they only had one another when they were moving around foster homes. Even as teens they remained close, even though they did argue frequently and have a few falling outs. In the end, they are each other's best friends and always have one another's back.
- Callie Adams Foster / Cariana - Callie is Mariana's adoptive sister and one of her best friends following Jesus. Mariana was originally off-put by Callie's rough and abrasive attitude. The two had such strong, differing, personalities that they got into many arguments. When Stef and Lena decided to fully foster Callie and her younger brother, Jude, Callie was moved into Mariana's room. This led to them fighting more and simultaneously developing a deeper bond. Their biggest falling outs concerned Callie's relationship with Brandon, as well as Mariana's inability to keep a secret combined with both girls' lies. As the years passed, the girls only grew closer and referred to one another as sisters, especially after Callie was finally adopted into the family. After graduating college, the girls moved to Los Angeles and became roommates, where they currently are embarking on the next chapter of their lives.
- Tia Stephens - Mariana and Tia met through the dance team at Anchor Beach Community Charter School, where they bonded and became close friends. They practiced together in the backyard of the Adams Foster House. They formed their own dance team together after Mariana and Tia left Hayley's, which brought their relationship even closer. After their team competed and won their competition, the pair drifted apart and eventually stopped being friends.
- Lexi Rivera / Lexiana - Lexi and Mariana were best-friends years prior to Pilot and had a mutual respect for one another. Lexi and Mariana's brother, Jesus, had started a secret relationship which they hid from Mariana as they knew she wouldn't understand and would be hurt. When Mariana found out about the relationship during her Quinceanera, she became angry at both of them. She explained that she was uncomfortable with the idea of her best friend and her brother dating. Lexi tried to talk with her, but Mariana refused to forgive her. They ultimately made-up, and became close once again. They remained best-friends even when Lexi had to move Honduras. They parted for the final time after Lexi moved to Honduras permanently under the pretenses that she had a boyfriend back in the country, despite the fact that she had lied to make Jesus feel better about moving on from her with Emma.
- Zac Rogers / Zariana- Zac was a classmate Mariana met while on the set of a school play. It is hinted that he had a crush on her. Although, she didn't initially feel the same way. Despite originally not having any feelings for him, Mariana grew close to Zac and eventually returned his feelings. They had a short-lived relationship, with his mother suffering from Alzheimer's disease and requiring proper care. This resulted in Zac moving away to live with his father. Zac was Mariana's first boyfriend.
- Mat Tan / Matiana - Matt is a member of Brandon's band. This is how Mariana originally got to know him. The two initially bantered often, and as the two grew close, Matt, after asking for Brandon's permission, asked her out, to which she accepted. The two connected over having biological parents abandoning them and the uncomfortableness of letting someone know. Mat and Mariana then say "I love you" for the first time in Light of Day. They break up for the first time a few episodes later. They finally tell each other they still love one another in The Show. After Nick comes to school and then her house with a gun, Mariana's relationship with him effectively ends, and she and Mat get back together in Trust. The two have sex for the first time together in Dream a Little Dream. They break up again for the final time in Cruel and Unusual.
- Nick Stratos / Nariana - Nick is the first guy Mariana started a relationship after dating Mat. At first, she thought he is immature, after witnessing his behavior with Jesus in her house and after he participated in a car race while she was in the car. However, after he increased his EQ and apologized, they reconciled and began to date. During their relationship, Nick repeatedly pulls out the big stops for her. Their relationship was always complicated due to Mariana's feelings for Mat, and this escalated until one day, he brought a gun to school. Mariana and Nick talk at school and she explains that she was only saying goodbye to Mat, but Nick doesn't believe her. Nick, on the loose with a gun, breaks into Mariana's house and sneaks up on Mariana with the gun. Nick is ultimately arrested. Under the belief that they are still together, Nick reaches out to Mariana by calling and texting her while he's in a mental facility. Mariana allows him to continue to believe this, despite the fact that she has begun dating Mat again because he has insisted that she is the only reason he has to live and is scared of what he'd do if he found out they weren't together anymore. In Collateral Damage, Nick says he understands they aren't together anymore and apologizes for how he's made her feel.
- Logan Bayfield - Mariana became interested in Logan when he moved next door to her, and instantly tried to win him over by acting as if she had the same interests as him. They became friends, but Mariana always wanted to be more than that. When she learned that Logan has a girlfriend she backed off and started helping him to win over his girlfriend when they were having a fight. Mariana's relationship with Logan became increasingly awkward, especially after his girlfriend claimed that she liked him which forced Mariana to pretend she was in a relationship. Logan's mother, Tess, even threatened Mariana to keep her away from her son. They eventually dated for a while, however, Mariana decided that she wasn't ready to be in a committed relationship, and wanted to date other people as well as Logan.
- Mariana pierced her nose herself in The Morning After, though she takes her stud piercing off before Stef and Lena's wedding in I Do and hasn't been seen wearing it since.
- Mariana sees Ana, her birth mother, for the first time in the Pilot. She had been secretly talking to her online for some time prior to this, deeply wanting to know her birth mother. However, the relationship between the two is strained for a majority of the series, due to Ana's drug addiction, but has improved following her rehabilitation.
- In Vigil, it is shown that Jesus and Mariana were adopted July 1, 2006 by Stef and Lena.
- She dyes her hair blonde in Things Unknown, but soon returns to her natural hair color in Someone's Little Sister.
- In The Honeymoon, Lena states that everyone now has the same last name. In Things Unknown, Mariana's name is shown as "Mariana Adams Foster" on the school dance team roster.
- She was on the original school dance team before creating her own separate team due to differences with the dance team captain, Kaitlyn.
- Mariana can be very sensitive to peer pressure or a lack of social acceptance. This is shown throughout the series; such as when she pierced her nose herself to fit in with her old friend Garret's crowd and dying her hair blonde to also fit in with her original dance team when overhearing them insulting her for, supposedly, only making the team only because she is Latina.
- She wears glasses occasionally while at home, but contacts while in public.
- It is implied that Mariana has abandonment issues, most likely due to her biological mother Ana leaving her and Jesus when they were kids. She was shown to react to the idea of Jesus or Callie leaving the Fosters house very badly. She has also been worried about Stef and Lena not loving her from time to time, usually because she isn't their biological child, often needing to be re-assured that she is loved regardless of her parentage. Another significant example is when her boyfriend Mat leaves for his three-week band tour, Mariana, in an act of desperation, initially wanted to come with him, worried about what would happen if he was gone for so long. When this failed, Mariana then wished to lose her virginity to Mat so he could "remember" her. When he turned her down, she instead had sex with Wyatt under the belief that Mat rejected her offer so he could hook up with girls while away. When realizing her error in judgement, she is guilt-ridden over her reckless actions.
- Mariana is, at least for a majority of the series, a vegetarian due to knowing about the abuse animals endure while in the process of becoming edible food. She temporarily breaks this diet by eating fish in Mother Nature, though she says it is strictly because she is in "survival mode".
- Mariana loses her virginity to Wyatt in the season three premiere Wreckage. She originally intended to lose it to her then-boyfriend Mat so that he would "remember" her while on his three-week band tour. However, he turned her down and she ran into Wyatt, who she began drinking with before initiating a hook up. This is a choice Mariana deeply regrets since Wyatt is Callie's ex-boyfriend and she felt like a "slut" for becoming "that girl who lost her virginity to some random boy she barely knows." Mariana even considered dating Wyatt, hoping she could learn to love him, so she could say she lost her virginity to her boyfriend, not an almost stranger.
- Her biological grandmother Elena has stated that Mariana looks a lot like how Ana did as a teenager, before the latter started using drugs.
- Characters have twice expressed a fear of Mariana, both times to Brandon, and both times in response to a suggestion of Brandon's. Mat expresses having a healthy fear of her in If You Only Knew when discussing the idea of prohibiting her from attending the "phrarm" party. When Brandon asks Callie to wake up a sleeping Mariana in The Show, Callie refers to the act as "unleashing the beast," and that they should be afraid.
- In Not That Kind of Girl, it's revealed that Mariana had to take her written driver's test twice. She claims the answers seemed too obvious, so she thought they were trying to trick her.
- Click here to see Mariana's gallery.
- Click here to see Mariana's quotations.