Amid tensions in their own relationship, Stef and Lena host a 40th anniversary party for Lena’s parents. Callie faces the judge who will determine the consequences of her actions, all while holding in a secret that could change everything. Meanwhile, Mariana decides that she must find a way to repair her relationship with Mat.
- Teri Polo as Stef Adams Foster
- Sherri Saum as Lena Adams Foster
- Hayden Byerly as Jude Adams Foster
- David Lambert as Brandon Foster
- Maia Mitchell as Callie Adams Foster
- Danny Nucci as Mike Foster
- Cierra Ramirez as Mariana Adams Foster
- Tom Williamson as AJ Hensdale
- Gavin Macintosh as Connor Stevens
- Lorraine Toussaint as Dana Adams
- Bruce Davidson as Stewart Adams
- Annika Marks as Monte Porter
- Jordan Rodrigues as Mat Tan
- Rosie O'Donnell as Rita Hendricks
- Noah Centineo as Jesus Adams Foster
- Travis Schuldt as Nathan Adams
- Toks Olagundoye as Faith
- Daffany Clark as Daphne
- Dan Sachoff as Judge Ringer
- Chris Bruno as Adam Stevens
- Kate Zenna as Robin
- Alex Marshall-Brown as Technician
- After a long fight with the justice system and an impassioned speech at the courtroom, Callie is finally adopted by the Adams-Fosters.
- Jesus returns from boarding school, claiming it to be a surprise, but confides to Mariana that he actually can't go back to boarding school for an unknown reason.
- While making out with Jude in his bedroom, Connor is walked in on by his dad who proves to be very upset. As a result, Connor considers moving to Los Angeles to live with his mother since his father is still unaccepting of his homosexuality. While this initially upsets Jude, in the end, he encourages Connor to do it since he realizes that Connor needs true support and happiness that he can't get with his father. After Jude promises to maintain their relationship, they tell each other that they love each other for the first time.
- Stef and Lena make up following the discovery of Lena's kiss with Monte when Stef has a health scare.
- The episode title, "Lucky," is a reference to Callie's speech in the courtroom, in which she mentions that she is "one of the lucky ones" (of all the foster kids in the country), and that "those who are lucky should help those who aren't."
- Peter and Bradley, the shows creators, revealed how they had contemplated whether to "pull the rug" from under the fans and to delay Callie's adoption once again. However, they decided to move onto other storylines for Callie besides her adoption and the adoption storyline itself had been dragged on long enough.
- Lena and her brother Nate make up when he unexpectedly shows up and apologizes to her for what he called her mother. After formally making up with Lena and her mother, he visits his father at the anniversary party and makes amends with him as well.