|“||At least I know who I am.||”|
|Family & Friends|
|Relationships|| Devonee (fake ex-girlfriend)
Callie Adams Foster (kissed) Marissa (girlfriend)
|First appearance:||House and Home|
Cole is a recurring character on The Fosters. He is first introduced in House and Home, when Callie first joined Girls United in season 1. After he and Callie get into a fight, he is assigned to be become her new roommate. For most of his time on the show, Cole has struggled with his transgender status and trying to be seen as a boy, both emotionally and physically speaking, and being accepted as such.
Cole is portrayed by Tom Phelan.
Cole is a transgender male and is forced to reside at Girls United due to being assigned female at birth despite his gender being male. His transgender identity proves to be a source of tension between him and the girls, who continually treat and see him as a girl. Despite Rita's constant admonitions, many girls refer to him with "she"-pronouns and indicate that they don't take his gender identity seriously. He is also mistreated for being transgender while in public (such as when he is beat up while trying to enter the men's restroom).
He is forced to become Callie's roommate in House and Home when Callie walks in on him after he has taken a shower and wrapping his chest - reacting by angrily shoving her. This brought Callie, who was already over-stressed, to shove him into the shower door, which shattered as he collapsed into it. Due the policy of Girls United in putting residents who don't get along in a room together to enforce good behavior, the two were forced to room together. This proved to be a good thing as Callie and Cole learned to bond and respect one another.
Cole takes Callie's cell phone away from her in Things Unsaid because he caught her with it. He says that he'll keep her texting communication with Brandon a secret as long as he gets to use the phone as well. He later tells her that he had been using it to get illicit hormones for his transition. This, however, only caused him to suffer a seizure, although he recovered. He has since finally been transferred to a LGBT home and received top surgery to remove his breast tissue.
Cole is fair skinned with curly blonde hair and gray eyes.
Cole introduces himself in group.
Cole begins to have a relationship with Devonee, a girl who was at Girls United. They carried on a secret affair, before being caught by Callie. Cole and Devonee plan on running away from the house, but Callie convinces him to stay since Rita said he got a spot in an LGBT home. Devonee reveals she has a real boyfriend waiting for her and runs away on her own. Becka later starts a fire at Girls United, causing everyone to run outside and being sent back to Juvie.
Cole and Kiara attend the party held at the Quinn's house which was hosted as a fundraiser for Girls United.
Season 1 (6/21)
Season 2 (2/21)
Season 3 (2/20)
Season 5 (2/19)
- Cole is a trans guy, meaning he was assigned female at birth.
- In season three, More Than Words, it's revealed that Cole has had top surgery. He now has scars on his chest, as a result of this surgery, which served to remove his breast tissue.
- He organized an LGBTQ prom for all the kids out there who were denied a school prom due to identifying in the LGBTQ community. It is here that he inspired Jude to accept his label as gay by relating how he also hated "checking the box" for a label, but that labels also have power. He gave credit to his label as the only thing that got him through being bullied at Girls United and everywhere else in life.
- He had a crush on Callie and even tried to kiss her, only to be rejected. This causes him to assume that she didn't return his feelings on account of his being transgender, but she tells him it is because she sees him as a friend and on a platonic level. She most definitely means what she says, since she starts dating another transgender boy in Season 5.
- Aaron mentions he is friends with Cole in Justify. Elliot and Tom, their respective actors, are actually friends off-screen. source
- Click here to see Cole's gallery.